List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Documentation for 4.2
From:       Timothée Lecomte <timothee.lecomte () ens ! fr>
Date:       2006-07-26 17:32:54

Hi,

As Ethan said a few days ago, the remaining work for 4.2 is decreasing,
and the main things to care about are now the documentation and the
version tags.

As far as the documentation is concerned, I would like to know what
should be done in the "news" section of gnuplot.doc. Currently there is
a section entitled "What's new in 4.2" and there is also the section
"What's new in 4.0". It seems to me that the latter should be removed,
after having checked that the items are well documented in the
appropriate places. Does that sound good ?

As a side-note, I found the following comment (gnuplot.doc:6857):
"This was valid only for gnuplot 4.0 (now mousing is on by default as in
 the case of other screen terminals):
 X11 mouse support is turned on by default if standard input comes from a
 terminal (tty). Mouse support is turned off if standard input does not
 come from a tty, e.g. a pipe. If you want to use mouse support while
writing
 to gnuplot from a pipe, the mouse must be turned on *before* starting
the x11
 driver, e.g. immediately after startup with the explicit command `set
mouse`.
 Beware: on some UNIX flavours, special input devices as /dev/null might not
 be `select-able`; turning on the mouse when using such devices will hang
 gnuplot."

I think this paragraph should be removed entirely. Please tell me if it
is appropriate.

Best regards,

Timothée