List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Re: clipboard & klipper in X11 terminal
From:       Timothée Lecomte <timothee.lecomte () ens ! fr>
Date:       2006-02-03 20:00:43

Ethan Merritt wrote:

>On Friday 03 February 2006 11:03 am, Timothée Lecomte wrote:
>

>>if
>>you don't have klipper launched, I'm pretty sure you lose everything,
>>unless you use some tricks that may be implemented in toolkits.
>>

>Simple test:
>
>1) open new xterm
>2) do something in it
>3) select text using   MB1down+drag+MD1up
>4) kill xterm window
>5) move focus to another xterm or standard x app
>6) MB2
>    hey presto!  the selected text appears
>
>So it appears to me that the standard X clipboard is persistent,
>and the selections remain even after the originating app
>has exited.

Ok !
Other test : open an existing file with kwrite/kate or another kde text
editor, select some text and copy it (ctrl-c), close kwrite/kate => you
can't paste antyhing !
We may conclude that the text selection, known as PRIMARY (intended to
be pasted with MB2) is kept in memory by X, whereas the CLIPBOARD may
not be.
One thing is sure : the clipboard in X is tricky !!!

>>I would say -apart from kde or whatever window manager- we should
>>comply with ICCCM conventions, explained in the previous links.
>>

>Seems like a good idea to comply with standards -
>so long as they don't break anything in real life.

Agreed. In this case, I think these are pretty old and common
conventions, dated 1994, and they won't break anything as they consist
of supplying an *additionnal* peace of information.

Best regards,

Timothée