List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Re: ./prepare asks for ./config.guess and config.sub
From:       Ethan Merritt <merritt () u ! washington ! edu>
Date:       2005-06-08 18:41:06

On Wednesday 08 June 2005 04:33 am, Gaël Varoquaux wrote:
>   I am being very stupid but the prepare script from the CVS asks from
> two file it cannot find :
>
> automake: configure.in: required file `../config.guess' not found
> automake: configure.in: required file `../config.sub' not found

This is a problem with certain versions of automake/autoconf.
I never figured out exactly which versions.  But the work-around
is
	touch config.guess
	touch config.sub

I.e., it doesn't matter what's in the files, just that they exist.
I reported this as a configuration bug quite a while back.

>    I also find it strange that, if you don't give a --prefix=foobar, you
> need root permission to make (and not make install). "make" should never
> need root permission.

Yes, I've been griping about this for ages as well.
The lisp subsystem is totally broken for non-root builds.
I *hope* I've fixed this at least in the case that you specify
	 ./configure --without-lisp-files
But I keep on finding more annoying lisp intrusions.

Note to everyone:
Is there any strong reason to keep --with-lisp-files as the default?
To me it is just a continual annoyance, because I keep
forgetting to disable it before building on a new system.

--
Ethan A Merritt       merritt@u.washington.edu
Biomolecular Structure Center