List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Re: [ gnuplot-Patches-1105717 ] Add '=' special file to reread '-'
From:       Hans-Bernhard Broeker <broeker () physik ! rwth-aachen ! de>
Date:       2005-01-21 16:41:58

Ethan Merritt wrote:
>Sampo Kellomäki (sampo2)

>>BTW, I would much prefer to reply by email and you would get
>>quicker replies. However, the message I got from you by mail did
>>not have usable reply address. This is bad netiquette in my
>>opinion.

Netiquette deals originally with USENET, not Web-based messaging forum
like this one.

And given the level of severity the spamming problem has reached, I'm
afraid offring a free-for-all plain email address must be considered a
dangerous thing to offer these days.

> If you want to join us in Email discussions, please post
> and subscrive to the mailing list

I fully second Ethan on that.  Note that if you don't subscribe, all
submissionss to gnuplot-beta will be put on hold until an admin (i.e.:
myself) OKs them.

>>I'd say that
>>a proper redesign using temporary file for pipes might be
>>the best thing to do.

What exactly do you mean by that?  Do you propose gnuplot should
backup all data it receives from a redirected stdin to a disk file?
I really don't think that's a good idea.  Caching it in memory, maybe,
but not to disk.

[...]
> the copy already stored in gnuplot's internal data structures.

Unfortunately, not quite.  Not if "fast" datafile reading (which doesn't
keep all columns of a single line, must less the entire datafile) is in use.

>>If you can confirm that '=' is the official way to do it, I
>>can move on with my life

> There can be no promise that this will become "the official way"
> when we don't even have a fully-working example at the moment.

I think it would make more sense to change the meaning of

	plot '-', ''

from being equivalent to

	plot '-', '-'

(if that's what users wanted, they only have to put in the missing '-')
to being equivalent to the

	plot '-', '='

proposed here.  I really don't think we need another special filename
for this.