List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Proposal to change behavior of "pause mouse key"
From:       Ethan Merritt <merritt () u ! washington ! edu>
Date:       2005-01-17 17:43:04

Recent discussions with Jacques Bouchard about making multiple
plot windows appear "active" to the user led to patchset #1090199
on SourceForge, which introduces a "bind all <key> <command>"
option so that hotkeys are can be accepted by all X11 plot windows.

But this ran into an old sore point that mouse zooming does
not work during either "pause mouse" or "pause mouse key".

I propose to modify "pause mouse key" so that mouse clicks,
in particular zooming, do not terminate the pause command.
This is needed for Jacques' application, and makes more sense
to me anyhow.

As I recall, Petr was the one who wanted "pause mouse key" to
terminate on either mouse click or keystroke.  Is that still
true?  Would it be OK to make this a separate option?

  pause mouse:
	terminate on mouse click
	hotkeys ("bind <key> <foo>") work as normal
  pause mouse key:
	mouse clicks work as normal, including zoom (CHANGE)
	terminate on keypress in plot window
  pause mouse any
	terminates on either mouse click or keystroke (NEW)

Or maybe we should look ahead to other possible pause variants,
and introduce new keywords, allowing multiple termination conditions:

  pause mouse {key|button1|button2|...} "text prompt"

Example:
  pause mouse button1 key  "Hit any key or use left mouse button"

Default (current "pause mouse"):
  pause mouse button1 button2 button3

What do you think?

--