List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Re: Updated docs,  website,  new release?
From:       Daniel J Sebald <daniel.sebald () ieee ! org>
Date:       2003-07-31 15:01:12

Hans-Bernhard Broeker wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
>

>>I looked at the code for Windows and see that it is quite different from
>>gplt_x11 in structure.  Long term, it would be nice to have some
>>consistency, but of course this would be a large endeavor.  Could all
>>the GUI systems be based off the gplt_x11.c file?
>>

>I'm almost certain that this would be hard enough to not be worth trying.
>Different GUI platforms are just too different regarding how you program
>for them.  Trust me: we do _not_ want to try to invent our own
>cross-platform GUI adapter layer.  We don't have anywhere near the
>manpower to support such a project (have a look into a project like
>wxWindows to get an idea of the amount of work this would be...).
>
>Even as it is, gplt_x11.c is not one, but three versions of the same
>program, the variation caused by differences in X11 usage on different
>platforms (VMS, Unix with/without SHM, or something like that).  That's
>enough of a mess already.  Forcing win/wgraph.c and and os2/gnupmdrv.c
>down its throat too would turn it into an impenetrable jungle.

That is what I suspected.  I can imagine the nightmare that might be.
 There would be nothing worse than having some small difference between
systems throw the whole paradigm out of whack.  And now that I look at
the VMS switch in gplt_x11.c I see that it is, in fact, much of the core
algorithm that is different, not just the graphics support.  Just a pipe
dream, I guess.

Dan