List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Re: x11 is eating one character from stdin pipe
From:       Arnd Baecker <arnd.baecker () web ! de>
Date:       2003-07-15 8:20:34

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Petr Mikulik wrote:
[...]
> > One thing I've contemplated with the mouse is having some control over
> > configuring its action.  For example, say in Octave there were a way to
> > link a set of script commands to the mouse. I imagine looking at a
> > spectrogram and being able to left click on it so that a new window pops
> > up showing the amplitude vs. frequency plot.  It doesn't stop at Octave.
> > One could build some very nice GUI programs with this feature.
>
> That we need to open some communication channel gnuplot -- octave. It would
> be nice to get implemented clicking and sending mouse position to octave.
> It could be Matlab compatible.

This would be an extremely useful addition to gnuplot
and open many possibilities. Personally I would
be interested in that type of functionality when using
gnuplot from python. Presumably there are other languages/situations
where something like this would be useful as well. So it
would be nice if a future "gnuplot -- octave" solution is general enough
to be extensible for other situations.

Keep on the great work!

Arnd