List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Re: gnuplot-3.8h
From:       Hans-Bernhard Broeker <broeker () physik ! rwth-aachen ! de>
Date:       2001-11-29 7:05:56

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Ethan Merritt wrote:

> On Wednesday 28 November 2001 10:34, Lars Hecking wrote:
> >  ftp://ftp.ucc.ie/pub/gnuplot/testing/gnuplot-3.8h.0.tar.gz
> >
> >  This version compiles fine under DU 4.0f with gcc, but because I haven't
> >  got all required 3rd party libs installed there, not all options were
> >  exercised.
>
> But there you are talking about a distribution version that doesn't even
> have the ./prepare script at all.

It shouldn't, being a pre-packaged release. "prepare" is needed if and
only if you check out directly from CVS. The difference between these
scenarios is that CVS mangles timestamps, whereas 'tar' preserves them. If
you really wanted to, you could get around the need for 'prepare' by
forcing 'configure' to believe you don't have autoconf and automake
available. In that case, it'll use the 'missing' script in their place,
which will just touch the files to get the timestamps right.

> My remark was confirming that there seems to be a problem working
> directly from the CVS files.

Only if you don't run 'prepare', or are using versions of autoconf or
automake that don't work with gnuplot.

So, to perhaps sum this up: prepare is not a "madness", it's a
convenience.  All known working alternatives would be worse, mainly
because they'ld be hard to use.