List:       gnuplot-info-beta
Subject:    Re: Terminal capabilities (Was: Re: Time to do 3.8h ?)
From:       Novak Levente <lnovak () dragon ! klte ! hu>
Date:       2001-09-27 13:36:56

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Hans-Bernhard Broeker wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Novak Levente wrote:
> [...]
> > A related info for those who are not aware of: while PS terminal has many
> > options, there is something even more flexible -- use of editable formats
> > like FIG or TGIF.
>
> Well, as far as that's concerned: you can go from gnuplot-generated PS to
> editable formats, too. pstoedit can pull some pretty amazing tricks...

Yes, true, but it is not as good than outputting in Tgif format: first
pstoedit does not (or did not?) convert circles to circles but to
many-faced polygons. Secondly, text consisting of different fonts or
sub/superscripts is converted character-wise not string-wise. You have to
re-edit the text afterwards. But I agree that Pstoedit is a very handy
piece of software, mostly when you have someting only in PS format but
would like to edit it (obviously, that's why it is named Pstoedit).
Still, I consider that you can do the same (and even more) with the actual
tgif.trm than with post.trm, if you are willing to do some minor
post-processing.

Levente