List:       gnuplot-info
Subject:    Re: Gnuplot question
From:       "Dick Crawford" <crawford () arete ! com>
Date:       2000-05-26 23:49:19

On Friday, May 26, 2000 Tom Powderly <tom@intex.com> wrote:

> When I draw a graph that has two lines that have the exact same points,
the
> line that I graph last writes over the line I graph first.
>
> Is there a way to somehow show that there are two lines exactly alike in
> the graph or key?

If you give a command like "plot sin(x), sin(x)", you should get exactly the
situation you describe -- and there should be two entries in the key.  The
upper one should have a linetype that is not visible on the plot, of course.

Is this not what you are getting?

If what you really want is a way for gnuplot automatically to tell you that
this situation has occurred, you're out of luck.  gnuplot doesn't keep track
of where line have already been drawn, so it has no way to tell that one
overwrites another.  All you can do in this case is recognize the situation
yourself and add some appropriate label to the plot.

Dick Crawford, aka crawford@arete.com

 - -
[[[[ to unsubscribe from info-gnuplot, send an email with body
unsubscribe info-gnuplot
to majordomo@dartmouth.edu
]]]]