List:       gnuplot-info
Subject:    Re: Question about FAQ support site
From:       "Dick Crawford" <crawford () arete ! com>
Date:       2000-05-23 16:17:45

On Tuesday, May 23, 2000 Matthias Fichtner <mf14@irz301.inf.tu-dresden.de>
wrote:

> because I experienced a problem using GNUPlot I wanted to follow the
> reference given by GNUPlot after the start of the program :
>
>         The gnuplot FAQ is available from
>                 <http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~ig25/gnuplot-faq/>
>
> So I browsed to this address but there came an error about a not
> executable CGI-script. Then I wrote an email to him, but it returned with
> the message unknown user.
>
> Where can I get support about the following problem :
>
> gnuplot> testfunc(u,v,w,x,y,z) = u+v+w+x+y+z
>                             ^
>          function contains too many parameters
>
> gnuplot> testfunc(u,v,w,x,y) = u+v+w+x+y
> gnuplot>
>
> I need 7 Parameters in the function I want to use. How can one overcome
> this problem ?

The FAQ has moved (and been rewritten).  You can get it through the gnuplot
web site http://www.gnuplot.vt.edu which will link you to
    http://www.ucc.ie/gnuplot/gnuplot-faq.html

http://www-ihe.etec.uni-karlsruhe.de/mitarbeiter/vonhagen/gnuplot-faq.html
    ftp://ftp.ucc.ie/pub/gnuplot/faq/gnuplot-faq.txt

Now to your question:

There is a limit to the number of parameters you can include in an argument
list, but there is no limit (that I know of) to the number of parameters
that can actually be used by a function.  That is,
    f(x,a,b,c) = a*x**2 + b*x + c
    plot f(x,3,4,5)
and
    f(x) = a*x**2 + b*x + c
    a=3
    b=4
    c=5
    plot f(x)
are synonymous.

Dick Crawford, aka crawford@arete.com

 - -
[[[[ to unsubscribe from info-gnuplot, send an email with body
unsubscribe info-gnuplot
to majordomo@dartmouth.edu
]]]]