List:       gnuplot-info
Subject:    Re: Creating 3D Graph on a structured mesh
From:       "Charles Crosby" <ccrosby () mweb ! co ! za>
Date:       1999-10-26 21:21:34

Hydromystic wrote in message <7v1ic8$6bl$1@nslave1.tin.it>...
>I'd like to plot the following data in a file:
>x(i,j)  ,   y(i,j)  ,   z(i,j)
>for     i=1,m
>and    j=1,n
>The mesh is m columns wide for n rows high.
>
>        -> m
>   ________
>   !_!_!_!_!_!
>   !_!_!_!_!_!
>   !_!_!_!_!_!     n
>   !_!_!_!_!_!
>   !_!_!_!_!_!
>
>Is there any possibility to respect the columns and rows of the file ?
>
>How can I plot the contour level of the surface?

Gnuplot does this well.  The secret is in the formatting of the data file.
You need a blank line separating different grid rows, and two blank lines
separating different meshes.

# Start data file
# x    y    z
 1.0 2.0  3.0
 1.0 4.0  6.0
 1.0 6.0  9.0

2.0 2.0 4.0
2.0 4.0 3.0
2.0 6.0 2.0

3.0 2.0 5.0
3.0 4.0 2.0
3.0 6.0 1.0

# End of file

Then in gnuplot:

set data style lines
splot 'data.file' using 1:2:3

Should work,

Charles

 - -
[[[[ to unsubscribe from info-gnuplot, send an email with body
unsubscribe info-gnuplot
to majordomo@dartmouth.edu
]]]]