List:       gnuplot-info
Subject:    Re: plot to a file.
From:       broeker () acp3bf ! knirsch ! de (Hans-Bernhard Broeker)
Date:       1999-10-25 17:32:21

> Hi all,
> I'm running gnuplot on an NT system, and I'm trying to plot a graph to a
> file. Here's how I'm trying to do it:

> 	gnuplot> set output "file_name"
> 	gnuplot> plot sin(x)
> 	gnuplot> set output

"set output" doesn't have much of a sensible meaning, as long as the
"terminal" is still at its startup value of "windows". There is no
representation of the windows output that could be written to file, in
standard gnuplot. If at all, you'ld just use the "Copy to Clipboard"
item in the graph window's context menu (right mouse button), and
paste the graph to your target application, afterwards. If you really
want to write the windows output (i.e.: a Windows MetaFile) to file, I
can mail you some changes to implement that.

Other than that, you'll usually want to 'set terminal' to something
else, to write a gnuplot graph to a file. See 'help terminal' for
details.
 - -