List:       gnuplot-info
Subject:    Re: Charts
From:       crawford richard <u600256 () gamma ! lanl ! gov>
Date:       1998-12-15 17:52:45

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998 Gowrynath Sivaganeshamoorthy <gowry@IBS-GmbH.net> wrote:

> I would like to plot some charts with gnuplot ;). Now I have some variables.
>
> How do the file hace to look like, if I want to create a chart with those
> values ?
>
> Time:                   Value:
>
> 11.00 am                3124 DM
> 11.02 am                3122 DM
> 11.04 am                3123 DM
>
> [...]
>
> Which settings I gotta to set on gnuplot ? I read the manual but I don't
> understood it yet how I can create charts with timestamps :-/.

First, I think you've misunderstood something.  The "timestamp" is merely
the time that the plot is created:  gnuplot queries the operating system
for the date and time and writes them on the plot.

gnuplot 3.6 does indeed have the ability to read time/date information and
use it as a variable to be plotted.  You may choose almost any format you
like -- the command "set timefmt" tells the program what format to expect.
For example,
  set xdata time
  set timefmt '%y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S'
  plot 'data' using 1:3
will plot a data set looking like
  98/01/15 10:11:12  25
  98/01/16 09:10:15  35
etc.

gnuplot 3.5 does not have this ability.

Dick Crawford, aka rccrawford@lanl.gov
 - -
[[[[ to unsubscribe from info-gnuplot, send an email with body
unsubscribe info-gnuplot
to majordomo@dartmouth.edu
]]]]