List:       gnuplot-info
Subject:    Re: Default symbol order and PS
From:       crawford richard <u600256 () gamma ! lanl ! gov>
Date:       1998-08-31 22:02:50

On 31 Aug 1998 Brian Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu> wrote:

>   I'm using gnuplot (Unix version 3.5 (pre 3.6) patchlevel beta
> 338) to generate some graphs using linespoints, and it just so
> happens that some of my 6 lines are on top of each other for
> three or four datapoints.  With the default symbol order, marker
> #5 is a solid square, so when it is plotted, it _completely_
> hides any symbols 1-4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, etc (and probably also
> the filled-in ones of 7, 9, 11, 13, ...) at the same location.
> I would suggest one of two things:
>
>   1.  Reorder the symbols so all the non-filled ones are used
>     first.
>   2.  Shrink the size considerably on the filled ones, or at
>     least filled-square, so that it no longer obscures the other
>     symbols.

You can already define your own order (and size) for the points
via the "set linestyle" command:
    set linestyle 1 lt 1 lw 1 pt 1 ps 1.0
    set linestyle 2 lt 2 lw 1 pt 3 ps .5
    set linestyle 3 lt 3 lw 1 pt 5 ps 1.5
and so on.  Then just "plot ... with points ls 1, ... w p ls 2" and
so on, just using your defines styles in order.

>   Opinions?  I can try to write up patches for post.trm in the
> next few days, based on any feedback.
>
>   Yes, I could tell gnuplot to skip marker 5, but these plots are
> being generated via several scripts, so adding that check would
> be a mild pain.  It'd be nice if the first 8 or so symbols were
> non-hiding symbols.

There's nothing to prevent you from changing the order in your own
working copy, of course.  (In case you don't know -- just change the
order in the definition of pointFNS, which is about 1180 lines into
"post.trm".)  But it would be nice to tell us all what ordering you
find most useful.

Dick Crawford, aka rccrawford@lanl.gov
 - -
[[[[ to unsubscribe from info-gnuplot, send an email with body
unsubscribe info-gnuplot
to majordomo@dartmouth.edu
]]]]