List:       gnuplot-info
Subject:    [Gnuplot-info] Plotting data arranged in columns rather than rows
From:       Marco <lists () homerow ! info>
Date:       2021-01-01 17:49:44

Hi,

I have a rather simple data file which is arranged in columns.
However, gnuplot prefers the data in rows and I don't know if
there's a way to plot the data without preprocessing (which I'd like
to avoid).

Here's the sample data:

  Time;10;20;30;40;50
  Mag;100;200;400;750;950
  Att;120;280;550;790;350
  Sol;210;820;550;970;530

It's easy to plot it if it would be laid out in rows:

  set datafile separator ";"
  set key autotitle columnheader
  $DATA << EOD
  Time;Mag;Att;Sol
  10;100;120;210
  20;200;280;820
  30;400;550;550
  40;750;790;970
  50;950;350;530
  EOD
  plot $DATA using 1:2 w l, \
    '' using 1:3 w l, \
    '' using 1:4 w l

Is there a way gnuplot can handle the data file laid out in columns?
I tried using matrix but couldn't get the expected result. Any tips
appreciated.

Marco