List:       gnuplot-info
Subject:    Re: [Gnuplot-info] Absolute cell referencing
From:       Theo <theozh () gmx ! net>
Date:       2013-11-07 23:06:02

As I understand and have read several times, gnuplot is not made for
that. However, I'd also love to have this feature.

You can try the following:
Define variables for row and column

c=2  # column number
r=3  # row number-1
a=0  # will later contain your value

plot 'Data.dat' u 1:(a=column(c),1/0) every 1:1:r:0:r:0 notitle

You will get a warning and no plot.
However, if you type

show var

the variable a contains the desired value.

Maybe there is or will be a more elegant way to extract values of "cells".
Good luck,
Theo.