List:       gnuplot-info
Subject:    [Gnuplot-info] pngcairo with 256 or 16 colors?
From:       Theo <theozh () gmx ! net>
Date:       2013-11-01 10:22:50

Hi there,
if I want to create compact PNG plots I have the choice between

term png
term pngcairo

where the pngcairo results usually look better.

png is saved either as 8 bit or 24 bit (truecolor) image
pngcairo seems to be always saved as 24 bit image independent whether
it's mono or color.

If I take a pngcairo 24 bit color image and reduce the colors with an
external image processing program to 8 bit or even 4 bit I save a quite
some disc space (especially, if I have a lot of plots).
And mostly, 256 or even 16 colors are enough.

Is there a way to directly tell gnuplot to save 8 bit or 4 bit pngcairo
images?

Thanks, Theo.