List:       gnuplot-info
Subject:    [Gnuplot-info]  Polar plot using set pm3d map
From:       mattwoodfl <wood () fit ! edu>
Date:       2009-06-22 2:35:43

Hi, everyone:
I'm a newbie to Gnuplot - been using it one week.  I'm using it to plot data
from the PLUTO astrophysical hydrocode (http://plutocode.to.astro.it/ for
anyone interested).

The data we can't figure out how to plot is stored in a grid as binary data.
The grid is
  r:  1 to 20 in 100 steps ("x")
  theta: 0 to 2*PI in 100 steps ("y")

We can plot it using, for example
  set pm3d map
  splot "rho.0001.dbl" bin array=100x100 format="%double"

and this puts 'r' on the 'x' axis and 'theta' on the 'y' axis, but this is
plotting on a rectangle, and we'd really like to have it plot as an annulus
- open from 0 to 1, then data as a color map from 1-20 in r, and 0-2PI in
theta.

It would also be useful to have a grid plotted over the data.

I searched for an solution before posting, but couldn't find anything beyond
some clues that it'll be possible.

I'm happy to send a sample data file if that would be useful (they're about
80kb).

Thanks very much for your help,
Matt Wood, Professor
Dept Physics & Space Sciences