List:       gnuplot-info
Subject:    Re: [Gnuplot-info] binary pipes in windows
From:       Tatsuro MATSUOKA <tmacchant3 () yahoo ! co ! jp>
Date:       2009-02-09 1:29:13

Helllo

Please use console mode of gnuplot (gnuplot.exe but not pgnuplot.exe+wgnuplot.exe) on CVS release
(4.3) for binary data via pipe.

The CVS  binary for windows available at
1. http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/development/binaries/
   gp43-Nov21_2008-winbin.zip

2. http://www.tatsuromatsuoka.com/gnuplot/Eng/winbin/
   gp43-winbin.zip

3.http://www.ring.gr.jp/pub/text/TeX/ptex-win32/utils/
   gnuplot-43pl0w32.zip

Regards

Tatsuro

--- franco bagnoli <franco.bagnoli@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to generate plots on the fly, from c and fortran programs.
> Up to now, in linux, I have found no problem at all.
> In windows using cygwin, everything ok.
> When using pgnuplot, I discovered that binary pipes are not properly
> handled. The following program produces a weird plot
> when used as a pipe, while I can write data to a file and plot them without
> problems.
>
> Notice that I tried to open the pipe in "binary" (is the distinction between
> binary and text files still present in wondows?) but the result is the same.
> I'm wondering whether pgnuplot correctly handles binary data...
>
> #include <stdio.h>
> #define N 100
> main(){
>   int i;
>   float x[N];
>   FILE *gp;
>
>   for(i=0; i<N; i++) {
>     x[i] = (float) i/N;
>     x[i] = x[i]*x[i];
>   }
>   gp = popen("pgnuplot", "w");
> //  gp = fopen("datafile.dat", "wb");
>   fprintf(gp, "plot '-' binary array=%d format='%%float' w l\n", N);
>   fwrite(x, sizeof(float), N, gp);
>   fflush(gp);
>   getchar();
>   fclose(gp);
> }
>
> --

Yahoo! JAPAN - Internet safety for children and parents.
http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/security/