List:       gnuplot-info
Subject:    Re: [Gnuplot-info] Displaying a bunch of Lines of given Data
From:       Thomas Sefzick <t.sefzick () fz-juelich ! de>
Date:       2009-01-16 9:35:03

in the development version (4.3) of gnuplot it is possible to determine
the actual position inside a data block - see 'help pseudocolumns' - and
treat data rows differently depending on their position.

e.g.
a=0.5
splot "measurements.dat" w l, "" every 1::0::0 w p, "" us
1:2:(column(0)>0?a*$3:$3) w lp

scaling of 'vectors' between subsequent data points could also be done:

a=0.5
splot "measurements.dat" w l, \
   '' every 1::0::0 w p, \
   '' us \
      (column(0)==0?(x1=$1,$1):x1+($1-x1)*a)\
      :(column(0)==0?(y1=$2,$2):y1+($2-y1)*a)\
      :(column(0)==0?(z1=$3,$3):z1+($3-z1)*a) \
      w lp