List:       gnuplot-info
Subject:    [Gnuplot-info] using string command within plot command
From:       graphix <bergenpeak () comcast ! net>
Date:       2005-12-10 19:42:30

For many of my plots, I have 20 different lines to plot.  I've got a
standard for many aspects of these plots including a standard title for
each line/dataset, line color and line width defined.  Rather than having
to do:

plot
'x' title "X-data" with lines title 'Xtitle' lt rgb 'purple' lw 3,
'y' title "Y-data" with lines title 'Ytitle' lt rgb 'sea-green' lw 2,

etc

I'd like to do something like:

plot 'x' XDISPLAY, 'y' YDISPLAY

where XDISPLAY would be replaced with "with lines title 'Xtitle' lt
rgb 'purple' lw 3".  Likewise for YDISPLAY, etc.

I'm running 4.1 so I have the string functionality but when I try the
above, I get:

gnuplot> plot x XDISPLAY
                ^
         ';' expected

The plot comes up but its as if gnuplot ignores the contents of XDISPLAY.
Is doing the above possible with the string mechanism?

Is there another/better way to do this?

Thanks