List:       gnuplot-info
Subject:    Re: [Gnuplot-info] Need help to compile gnuplot with gd-2.0.23
From:       Hans-Bernhard Broeker <broeker () physik ! rwth-aachen ! de>
Date:       2004-05-07 17:55:12

On Fri, 7 May 2004, Lavoie,Alain [CMC] wrote:

> make[2]: Entering directory `/opt/sources/graphic/gnuplot-3.8k.2/tutorial'
> ../src/gnuplot: error while loading shared libraries: libgd.so.2: cannot

The error message is pretty clear, really: gd-2.0.23 was built as a shared
library, but it's not in any place where the linker defaults to look, so
it's not found.

IMHO, that means you haven't really "installed" libgd, yet.  As a
temporary measure, you'ld have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or some similar
thing, depending on what your undisclosed host platform happens to be) to
include the place your libgd.so.2 is currently sleeping.

Using GNU "libtool" in our build process would probably improve this
situation, but gnuplot doesn't use that yet.