List:       gnupg-users
Subject:    Re: "gpg --card-edit" with multiple card readers (Yubikey)
From:       Andrew Gallagher via Gnupg-users <gnupg-users () gnupg ! org>
Date:       2023-07-18 9:11:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On 17 Jul 2023, at 18:36, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> wrote:

> Andrew Gallagher <andrewg@andrewg.com> wrote:
> > > Juanjo via Gnupg-users <gnupg-users@gnupg.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > "Keys stored on YubiKey are non-exportable (as opposed to file-based
> > > keys that are stored on disk) and are convenient for everyday use. "
> > >
> > > In my case, I want the same key on multiple devices, which 3 to 5 core
> > > members of an open source project will hold.  (I am also considering
> > > if we want a higher security key which would be secret split across
> > > those keys, but we aren't building a CA here, but..)
> > >
> > > Is that possible with these devices?
> > >
> > > In some cases keys can be transfered in an encrypted form for another
> > > device, but not recovered by outsiders.
>
> > This is not possible with a Yubikey. If you want the same (sub)keys on
> > multiple devices you must generate them on your laptop and copy them to
> > each device in turn, remembering not to delete until you're done.
>
> okay, so in this case we are using the Yubikey only as a storage, equivalent
> essentially to a USB storage?  Or does it still do crypto on the device?

The yubikey performs cryptography on the device, but does have a small amount of \
flash memory to store the private key material. The yubikey does not provide any \
method to copy the private key material back off that storage, it can only be \
overwritten or used by the yubikey's own processor.

["signature.asc" (signature.asc)]