List:       gnupg-users
Subject:    Re: get OpenPGP pubkeys authenticated using German personal ID
From:       Andrew Gallagher via Gnupg-users <gnupg-users () gnupg ! org>
Date:       2023-06-01 13:19:29

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

[Attachment #4 (multipart/alternative)]

On 1 Jun 2023, at 12:23, Alexander Leidinger via Gnupg-users <gnupg-users@gnupg.org> \
wrote:

> Quoting Bernhard Reiter <bernhard@intevation.de <mailto:bernhard@intevation.de>> \
> (from Wed, 31 May 2023 16:55:05 +0200):
> > Obviously they cannot authenticate the email address
> > so once I have a common name, we get collisions?
>
> The signature is send to the email listed in the key. In case you share a name with \
> someone which has a PGP key and you sign this key, the person(s) with access to \
> that email account will get the signature.

This is not best practice. Normally when email verification is being performed, the \
gated action (such as certification, account creation etc.) is not done until after a \
(time-bound!) challenge/response succeeds. This places too much emphasis on \
verification of the (non-unique) "real name" component of the UserID, and not enough \
on the machine-readable email address.

This opens up more fundamental questions about the meaning of signatures over RFC822 \
UserIDs - do they validate the "real name", the email address, or some combination of \
the two? For example, an email-validating CA may only check the email address part, \
treating the "real name" as little more than a comment; while Governikus appear to be \
doing it the other way around. It is of course up to the receiver to decide how to \
interpret signatures, but it only compounds the problem when not only is the signer's \
trustworthiness in question, but also their intent. How do you interpret the validity \
of a claim when it's not even clear what the claim is?