List:       gnupg-users
Subject:    Re: Security doubts on 3DES default
From:       Werner Koch <wk () gnupg ! org>
Date:       2017-03-16 19:37:32

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 15:55, peter@digitalbrains.com said:

> Perhaps we should either retire ciphers with a 64-bit block length or
> make OpenPGP mandatorily rekey after a few gigabytes of data, so it's no
> longer up to the user to be prudent with large amounts of data.

Those who have large amounts of data to encrypt will anyway use a fast
cipher and this means AES.  Thus the 64 bit block length is in practice
only a theoretical problem.  A more practical problem is how to protect
against arbitrary I/O or storage errors.  Thus in the end you will store
the data anyway in chunks.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner