List:       gnupg-users
Subject:    Re: [new-user] question
From:       "Laurent Jumet" <laurent.jumet () skynet ! be>
Date:       2012-04-13 5:31:06

Hello michael !

michael crane <mick.crane@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to understand the principals and benefits of using pgp/gpg
> I think I understand that I send the part of my key that is public to
> somebody and they use that key to encrypt a message which only I can
> decypher.
> So what if somebody uses my public key to send me a message purporting
> to come from somebody else ?
> what is the mechanism to ensure it came from who I think it did ?

    You are refering to the 2nd part of crypting: signature.
    Crypting to your key is only to ensure that you'll be the only one to read it, \
but you are supposed to know what you'll find in the message.  Signing is dedicated \
to the receipient: it allows him to be sure that the message comes from exactly you.

--
Laurent Jumet
      KeyID: 0xCFAF704C