List:       gnupg-users
Subject:    Re: Tutorial for gpgsm?
From:       Werner Koch <wk () gnupg ! org>
Date:       2004-09-10 15:24:21

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:32:37 +0200, Simon Josefsson said:

> (I'm putting gnupg-users back on the CC, I hope you don't mind, since
> I'd like to point Gnus users at the thread, until it is explained in
> the Gnus manual.)

No problem, I sometimes accidental type R instead of F.

> I believe the format is PKCS#8.

Right.  However I don't think we should support this.  Exchanging
private keys should be left to those who know what they are doing.

> I'm trying to avoid OpenSSL completely. :-)

Well, but sometimes you need it.

> I had to fix a bug in certtool to get the above to work, as certtool
> normally wanted to put both a certificate and a key into the P12 blob.
> However, gpgsm didn't like that P12 blob.  I don't know whether this

It works for the certificates created by MS Exchange and Mozilla.
I'll have a look at it.  But you know that pkcs#12 is something you
usually don't want to touch - not really secure, too man nested bags
and constant use of strange terminology.

Thanks,

  Werner