List:       gnupg-devel
Subject:    Re: Standards: IETF WG proposing incompatible despite implementations and objections
From:       Andrew Gallagher via Gnupg-devel <gnupg-devel () gnupg ! org>
Date:       2023-04-27 11:41:38

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On 27 Apr 2023, at 09:04, Bernhard Reiter <bernhard@intevation.de> wrote:

> Just to consider the point Bruce brought up: Why is EAX still in?
> Where can I read up on the argument on this?

AFAICT it's still in mainly because it's optional and nobody has formally proposed to \
remove it - Bruce has brought it up a few times but nearly always in conjunction with \
other points that don't have consensus; there doesn't appear to have been a specific \
proposal on the WG list to only remove EAX but keep everything else as is. It may be \
worth removing EAX if nobody intends to implement it, but if nobody implements EAX \
there's no urgent need to remove it either.

> > The single one big argument is that of compatibility. And it's a really
> > strong argument. So strong in fact, that some folks worry that going
> > ahead with the new spec despite it may spell the death of OpenPGP.
> > And indeed - it just might.
>
> Both true, but it is not necessarily a "big" argument in my view.
> Compatibility issues can often be addressed in parts or little steps. Or with
> a plan over time. The question is: where do we want to head?

The competing proposals are not contradictory; the version bump has avoided that. It \
is possible for individual implementations to support both "v5" and "v6", even if \
only partially (e.g. read-only support for the "wrong" format). This would seem to me \
to be the most productive compromise path forward at this point, however the WG \
cannot officially suggest such a thing. :-)

> What you are saying is that the working group wants to oppose Werner for
> showing that they have the power and need to be taken seriously.

This is not fair. Most people on the WG have come around to the current position with \
extreme reluctance. If there were some way to reconcile the competing proposals even \
at this late stage, there would be great rejoicing.

["signature.asc" (signature.asc)]