List:       gnupg-devel
Subject:    Re: [Announce] GnuPG 2.2.1 released
From:       Werner Koch <wk () gnupg ! org>
Date:       2017-09-20 6:40:54

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 19:55, rjh@sixdemonbag.org said:

> I, personally, would like to see GnuPG refuse to use 64-bit block
> ciphers for encryption unless an option was set (--allow-old-ciphers,
> perhaps).  Leave the algorithms in there for RFC conformance, let them

We can't do that in 2.2 but printing a warning to raise awareness is
okay.

Frankly, I doubt that this is a real world risk, because mails are too
short.  For backups and other large data encryption tasks, I assume that
AES will anyway be used due to the very noticiable performance
advantages.  And AES is the default anyway.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner