List:       gnupg-devel
Subject:    Re: [keyanalyze-discuss] The web of trust tightens over time
From:       Aaron Lehmann <aaronl () vitelus ! com>
Date:       2003-08-05 15:39:19

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 09:36:14AM +0200, Werner Koch wrote:
> No.  The obvious optimization is to allow random access to the keyring
> and have an index.  Years ago I tried this with a gdb based key
> storage but it was too hard to maintain.  gpgsm uses a new key storage
> format which allows for an index and random access to each keyblock
> without parsing all the precedeeng keyblocks.  It is X.509, though.
> Part of gpg 1.9 is to replace the keyrings with that new system.  I am
> pretty sure that this will boost the performance so that you can try a
> --check-trustdb on 20000 keys.

That would be nice. Right now, it is painful to use even 1000 keys,
especially when gpg rechecks the trustdb after any modification to a
key. Is there any way I and other outsiders could help speed up the
transition to a better format? gpg has had this problem since it was
first writen and it is the biggest problem with the software, IMHO.