List:       gnudip2-general
Subject:    [GnuDIP] Re: error in log from gnudip2/Java "Beans"
From:       Creighton MacDonnell <creighton () macdonnell ! ca>
Date:       2002-05-14 21:28:55

Please use the mailing list.

===

The GnuDIP login page contains a Java applet. The applet connects back
to the GnuDIP HTTP server it was downloaded from (something applets are
supposed to be allowed to do), determines the IP address at its end of
the connection and then drops the connection. The compiled applet (the
file that gets downloaded) is called "IPdetect.class".

In the beginning of Java in browsers, there was only "applets". Now
there are applets which are also "beans". I don't know much about beans.
However for an applet that is also a bean, the browser is supposd to
also retrieve a companion file. If "IPdetect.class" wasa bean, its
companion file would be "IPdetectBeanInfo.class".

For some reason many (maybe even most?) browsers try to download a bean
companion fiel for every applet.

I know the message is annoying, but the applet still seems to work OK -
in IE and Netscape any way (as it should). It doesn't work in Konquorer
(the KDE browser) though. Perhaps Konquorer must have beans?

The only thing I could do is expand IPdetect into a bean. I will add
this to the "To Do" list, but I doubt that I will deal with it any time
soon.

Any volunteers? The applet source is in the "html" directory.

The "guys" you refer to would be me. I wish there were other "guys"
working on this.

--
Creighton MacDonnell
http://macdonnell.ca/