List:       gnu-screen
Subject:    Re: CP437 Output
From:       Phil!Gregory <phil_g () pobox ! com>
Date:       2003-12-28 19:16:31

* Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com> [2003-12-28 12:55 -0600]:
> So you have a simple example showing that screen is messing with your
> characters?

Well, the issue is really with charset conversions.  I run everything
internal to screen in UTF-8.  Most places I attach from support UTF-8, so
screen passes them straight through.  Since screen thinks the terminal is
ISO-8859-1, it translates what characters it can into that charset, but
the terminal displays them in CP437, so, for example, an accented e (é)
displays on the terminal as a subscript 9 (₉).  (And an actual subscript 9
would just be represented as a question mark, since it's not in
ISO-8859-1.)

--- --
No matter how many shorts the system is having, your guards should be
instructed to treat every surveillance camera malfunction as a full-scale
emergency.
                       -- Evil Overlord's Handbook, entry 67

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/NhFolB/TM