List:       gnu-screen
Subject:    Re: builtin echo (was: Re: shell function "_colortest")
From:       Felipe Kellermann <stdfk () terra ! com ! br>
Date:       2003-12-11 1:09:07

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:01am  -0800, John wrote:

> Ummm.... I do believe that echo is built in to all the recent shells,
> including bash...

	Yes, and there are two _completely different_ and _incompatible_
versions of the echo command. You can read more on this topic by reading
the XCU component of the IEEE 1003.1 Standard, Utilities section. Oh, and
I've just seen an unusual doings in the Screen 3.09.15 version. No matter
if you type a valid 'echo -n "string"' in, it always advises you that the
way it expects the command is 'echo [-n] "string"'. It seems to be fixed
in the newer versions.

	Bash version 2.04 introduced an option, the xpg_echo, to control
either those escaped sequences should get interpreted or not... I really
would like to know why this '-e' switch was invented for, and who is its
genius author, to give him a well-deserved _kick in the butt_! :-). This
thing just doesn't make sense to me. Anyways, we had better use only the
printf command, as is urged in the RATIONALE section of the Standard,

--
Felipe Kellermann

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/NhFolB/TM