List:       gnome-gui
Subject:    Re: gfm suggestions
From:       Jukka Rajala <montana () dlc ! fi>
Date:       1999-12-18 0:26:33

"Poletti, Don" wrote:

> I think someone recently mention the Mac system of file browsing and
how
> the can be presented in a list view. IMHO the Mac still has the best
system
> of file browsing. But I don't think there is anything particularly
inherit
> in the Mac
> system that prevents other OSes from having the same benefit

Nothing prevents other OSes from having the same benefits... TWhat makes
MacOSs
finder so unique is its intuitive way of handling files, more precily
the drag
& drop that is deeply rooted in the system. This creates an GUI that is
easy to
learn and master.

> Windows has four view:  Large Icon, small icon, list and detail. but
none
> are very
> customizable and none will show the file hierarchy.
>
> Mac has a few more views and since I haven't really used a Mac in a
couple
> of years I'm a bit rusty and out of data.

Reading from the mac next to me...

MacOS has three basic modes for the Finder window... One is typical view
of
icons, the second is a button view and the final is the list view...
each of
these can be configured separately for a few different attributes such
as
sorting, lay-out (grid on/off etc)...

I have a screenshot of Finders list view at
http://www.saunalahti.fi/~montana/gui/mac_list.png
It is in finnish, but the language is not the point in this... The topic
says
how many file/dirs in the current dir and free disk space.

I feel that this mode is very easy and intuitive way of presenting the
content
of a disk. And thus it should be included among the others...

--
Jukka Rajala - jukka.rajala@iki.fi - http://www.saunalahti.fi/rjala/

--
        FAQ: Frequently-Asked Questions at http://www.gnome.org/gnomefaq