List:       gnome-devel-list
Subject:    Re: Nautilus
From:       Jamie McCracken <jamiemcc () blueyonder ! co ! uk>
Date:       2005-12-21 12:46:17

Shane O'Connor wrote:
> Heya,
>
> I recently started looking at gnome2.12 builds (moving on to 2.13 now)
> and I just can't get my head around the default view for Nautilus - the
> spatial view (a new window for each folder opened) is sooooo annoying ;)
> I know most seasoned linux/unix users will use a terminal to navigate
> between dirs but for novice users who are more used to point and click I
> would have thought this default behaviour would be really annoying - it
> really makes the desktop look messy and is a real pain to have to close
> all those windows you don't want.....
>
> Any particular reason why this is the default behaviour vs the broswer
> mode?
>
> Btw, NOI to anyone, just a curious really...
>
> Thanks
> Shane

At the end of the day its a distro thing (which is default).

Ubuntu has browser as default though (most) others seem to stick with
spatial.

btw spatial is an acquired taste - most are not going to like it unless
they are used to it or have a suitable directory structure to take
advantage of it.

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://www.advogato.org/person/jamiemcc/