List:       gnome-devel-list
Subject:    := panel widget as library?
From:       Svanberg Liss <lisss () ydab ! se>
Date:       1999-07-30 16:01:19

> > Why not just have the possibility to dock an application to the root
window?

> > I do not know so much about X-Windows programming, but you are able to
run
> > X-lock in the root window, why not other applications?
>
> I dont know if you can have more then one program locking the desktop.

Ok. Was just thinking of some small non-gnome applications...

> > ...so you would be able to run one "container" application, and then let
> > user add "plugin" applications. Like tearable menus, but with complete
> > applications instead...
>
> Why not just use bonobo?

Well, I just wanted to know if the work was allready done.

Just in case I was missunderstood. I did ask if I could make a dockable
window, belonging to one application, and drop it into another application.
And the dockable window would sit there (not turning into an icon or
something), behaving like a child control, until I grabbed it and pulled it
away.
And the "container" would be notifyed about the docked thing.

Do bonobo provide this functionality, or do I have to write the DnD thing
about the window?
I do believe that the panel behaves a bit like this, right?

( I'm really sorry if I'm asking stupid things, but I havn't been able to
run gnome for several months, so I havn't been able to see for myself.
Hardware problems, and perhaps library problems too, if anyone happened to
be interested... Last time I run Gnome, it did *not* work the way I was
asking for. )

// Liss