List:       gnome
Subject:    Re: How does the gnome network tools fit in together?
From:       Ratnadeep Debnath <rtnpro () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-12-11 15:53:09

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hey Debarshi,

Thanks for the reply.

I am having some issues with connecting to VPN using Gnome's network
manager. Even though I have selected it to connect automatically, it never
does so. The typical behaviour would be to detect if there's a network
connection and connect to the VPN. On failure, it can try a few times
before giving up.

If it's a config issue, please tell me how to fix it. If it is a bug in the
codebase, please direct me to the components or projects (I see a number of
components related to Network Manager) from where I can start hacking.

Regards,
Ratnadeep

On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 6:43 AM, Debarshi Ray <rishi.is@lostca.se> wrote:

> > I wonder how does all these fit together. I mean the network applet in
> > gnome-shell, network-manager-applet, etc.
>
> The status indicator in gnome-shell, and network-manager-applet are
> different
> code bases doing the same thing. The latter used to be a part of the
> fallback
> mode, which did not have gnome-shell.
>
> Both of them are just frontends to the NetworkManager service that runs on
> the system bus, and talks to it over D-Bus.
>
> Happy hacking,
> Debarshi
>
> --
> There are two hard problems in computer science: cache invalidation, naming
> things and off-by-one errors.

Ratnadeep Debnath,
Software Developer & QA, Transifex
GPG Fingerprint: 033C 8041 A0E9 CDBA 2E02  B785 2119 5486 F245 DFD6