List:       gnome
Subject:    Re: Drag and drop from browser to launcher is sporadic
From:       Philip Walden <pwaldenlinux () comcast ! net>
Date:       2011-03-09 19:34:50

Philip Walden wrote:
> I have Fedora 14 with Gnome 2.32.
>
> I am trying to create a desktop Launcher that I can receive
> drag-n-drop url links from Firefox. I have a simple case working
> sporadically. Sometimes it works and most of the time it does not.
>
> Sometimes I can drag a link and drop it on the Launcher and it works.
> Most of the time the drop never triggers the Launcher. Some links on a
> page seem to work consistently, other links never work.
>
> If I drag-n-drop other objects from the Desktop or a Nautilus browser
> to the Launcher, the Launcher is always triggered. So it would seem
> that the Launcher and drag-drop is working.
>
> If I drag and drop the url link onto the Desktop. The Link object
> always appears on the Desktop. So it would seem the Browser is doing
> its job correctly, too. It is only when I drop a link directly from
> the browser onto the Launcher that it fails sporadically. I have tried
> both Firefox and Seamonkey with similar results. When it does work, it
> seems to happen best when the browser is first started. After a few
> successes, it stops working.
>
> Any suggestions on how to debug this? Is there a log somewhere that
> captures these events?
>
> Here is the Launcher:
> [Desktop Entry]
> Version=1.0
> Name=TestArgs
> Comment=jsd sadhaskdh
> Path=/home/pwalden/Videos
> Exec=testargs %%k= %k %%u= %u
> Icon=gnome-panel-launcher
> Terminal=true
> Type=Application
> MimeType=text/html;
>
> Here is the Exec script:
> #!/bin/bash
> echo PWD=$PWD $*
> sleep 15
If I create the Launcher in a (top) panel. The Launcher is triggered on
every drop from the browser.

I do not know why having the Launcher on the Desktop is flaky and the
Launcher in the panel works.

I note the the "Path=" key-value pair record does not work in the panel
based launcher. I added the the Path= by editing the .desktop file for
the Launcher in $HOME/.gnome2/panel2.d/default/launchers. No matter what
I set it to, it always fires the Exec command with Path set to my home
directory.

I'd like to have the Path= work if anyone has ideas?

--
Linuxfest Northwest - Apr 30-May 1, 2011
<http://www.linuxfestnorthwest.org/>