List:       gnome
Subject:    Re: Gnome-panel data?
From:       "David A. Cobb" <superbiskit () cox ! net>
Date:       2008-02-21 12:56:23

Andrea Vettorello wrote:
> On Feb 19, 2008 5:30 PM, David A. Cobb<superbiskit@cox.net>  wrote:
>
>> Andrea Vettorello wrote:

>>> I would say in your gconf (apps/panel/applets),
>>>
>> I would say that too. But modifying it doesn't seem to help. Do I have
>> to wait until I next log in?

That was it! When next I logged in, the pair of icons had moved back to
a "reasonable" place at 800 (/1024). They both seem to be expressions of
the same applet, because they moved together and I only changed one setting.
>>   In any case, it is not obvious which
>> entries relate to which panel icon. Especially because only the
>> notification area has a useful name (applet-1 isn't all that helpful).
>>

> Here the applets have an entry "bonobo_iid" with their name.
>

>> The icons that are out of place do not seem to match any of the listed
>> items. One has "tooltip" "Wired Network Connection", the other simply
>> "offline."
>>
>>>    but before that check
>>> if the applets are locked to their current position (right click on
>>> them)..
>>>
>> And therein lies the problem. These icons do not present a "normal"
>> context menu. The "offline" icon offers to "Show contact list," the
>> other to "Enable networking."
>>

> My guess is you are looking at icons in your tray applet
> (NetworManager maybe
That would make sense, given the tool-tips. I don't know the "tray" from
any other part of the panel.

> , the other I've no idea).
> You can have a list of the running applets using the system monitor
> (or the ps command, "ps x | grep OAFIID")...

Thank you, that should also help in future.

Problem solved. Thanks again.