List:       gnome
Subject:    Re: Menus - I dont' get gnome2 (reprise)
From:       Patrick Lynch <patlynch () hailmail ! net>
Date:       2002-07-04 17:09:45

Gregory Merchan wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 07:08:35AM -0400, bordoley@msu.edu wrote:
>

>>                                                                 . . . since
>>ideally programs should never crash. (plus kill in the window list was xkill
>>so it just disconnected the app from the xserver). A better solution to this
>>problem is the one provided by metacity. If a program becomes unresponsive,
>>metacity popups a dialog asking the user if they want to kill the
>>application. But metacity actually kills the app using killall. This is a
>>much better ui overall.
>

> I wonder how it does killall when the client program runs on a remote host.

Just clarifying.. that if the entire Gnome dektop+metacity is running
remotely, metacity's 'hang detector' will succesfully be able to kill
the hung windows process ( not xkill method).

However,  if a single window is run remotely under gnome+metacity on a
different PC, metacity can simply disconnect the window (xkill method).
In most cases, disconecting the window is adequate..if its not, a kill
-9 is probably needed any way.

Patrick.