List:       gnash-dev
Subject:    Re: [Gnash-dev] snapshot release ? nasty bugs ?
From:       Rob Savoye <rob () welcomehome ! org>
Date:       2006-03-31 15:16:33

John Gilmore wrote:

> I suggest making it a "zero point" release, e.g. gnash-0.1.tar.bz2.

   Currently gnash has an arbitrary version number, as GameSWF never
used any. Figuring there was already a huge amount of work when I forked
it, I started with 0.7. So I guess now it's time to pick a real version
number.

   I assume 1.0 is a fully functional v8+ compliant player, which is
probably quite a ways down the road. At the same time. Gnash works
reasonably well, so a 0.1 release seems a bit low. I'm tempted to do
this release as 0.5 or 0.6.

> The README and release notes and man page and documentation should
> start off by being quite clear what popular things it DOESN'T do.
> This will eliminate some fraction of the useless bug reports.

   For sure... although too many people don't appear to ever read docs...

> If you can get someone from the Firefox team to look over the source
> before release, they may catch a few obvious-to-them issues.

   I emailed them, we'll see what happens...

> And having the RPM and Deb packagers send you whatever changes they
> recommend NOW, as opposed to after, will help.

   I've been making changes for package maintainers all along, so Gnash
should be in good shape.

	- rob -