List:       gnash
Subject:    Re: [Gnash] Firefox plugin fails to build...
From:       James Damour <james.damour () request ! com>
Date:       2006-06-30 13:31:39

Miriam Ruiz wrote:

> What exactly do you pretend withs such a childish attitude? If you think it is
> an interesting project, you should try to help solving those problems. I don't
> think this emotional invocation serves for anything else than making
> developers less helpful.
>
> Remember that developers here are giving their free time voluntarily to the
> project, I don't think it's OK to go around demanding them to be at your
> wishes. Maybe it would be more productive to try to help solving whatever
> problems appear in your architecture, instead of going like "You're not fixing
> this bug right now? then I don't like you anymore!".
>
> Please, reconsider your attitude and try to be more helpful, to the extent of
> your possibilities, instead of going to emotional attacks.

<humor>You have been trolled.  You have lost.  Have a nice day!</humor>

Seriously, don't feed trolls.  *Every* Free/Libre/Open Source Software
project will get multiple proclimations along these lines.  It's a rare
occurance that you can convince the troll to remain, it usually annoys
them to try and convince them, and what have you gained if you succeed?
Another troll.

Concentrate instead on making the best software that you can and they'll
come back.  Or they won't.  Either way, it's not worth your time to hit
the "reply" button.  *You* know that the software isn't perfect, so the
troll isn't completely wrong.  You *also* know just how cool it is that
it works as well as it does, so the troll isn't completely right.

*I* do not think that Gnash has been "oversold".  It's **clearly**
labeled a "pre-alpha" quality software that is likely to crash your
browser.  The developers are also pretty clear that they have a very
limited range of hardware and operating systems to test on; they're
doing the best they can, but they encourage the submission of bugs from
other platforms (and they are willing to help new testers learn what
information needs to be included in the bug reports).  This project is
destined for greatness, even but it hasn't achieved it quite yet.

I am humbly grateful for all the hard work done by *all* the
contributers to Gnash -- both the developers and those who build from
CVS and patiently submit bug reports.  Kudos to you all!  Drop me an
email the next time you're in the New York State Capital Region and I'll
buy you a beer (or other drink of your choice).

/me salutes you all
--
James Damour, Software Engineer
*ReQuest - Serious Play*