List:       gmp-devel
Subject:    Help stabilising mini-gmp
From:       tg () gmplib ! org (=?utf-8?Q?Torbj=C3=B6rn?= Granlund)
Date:       2016-11-27 0:08:50

nisse at lysator.liu.se (Niels M?ller) writes:

  Bit it's surprising to me too that also non-overflowing left shift of
  negative values is undefined. So it seems generally unsafe to use shift
  on signed types, except possibly for constants.

It is pretty silly.  By leaving a useful operation undefined, one cannot
use it anywhere if one cares about perfect portability.  Here we have an
operation which in practce will work anywhere made somewhat useless by
the C/C++ committees.

--
Torbj?rn
Please encrypt, key id 0xC8601622