List:       gluster-users
Subject:    [Gluster-users] Shrinking a volume
From:       david.verstraeten () elis ! ugent ! be (David Verstraeten)
Date:       2011-01-27 12:20:32

Hi all,

I currently have a setup with 30 distributed bricks running Glusterfs 3.1. \
Performance under heavy loads is not good, so I want to see if shrinking the volume \
will remedy this. However, it is not clear to me from the documentation how to do \
this with the volume online without data loss. It says in the documentation that data \
on the brick to be removed is no longer available \
(http://www.gluster.com/community/documentation/index.php/Gluster_3.1:_Shrinking_Volumes), \
how should this be handled then? Do I need to migrate first? If so, can I migrate the \
brick to be removed to an existing brick in the volume?

Does anyone have experience with shrinking volumes?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

David