List:       gluster-devel
Subject:    Re: [Gluster-devel] [Gluster-Maintainers] Proposal: move glusterfs development to github workflow, c
From:       Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <sankarshan.mukhopadhyay () gmail ! com>
Date:       2019-08-24 11:14:56

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 6:42 PM Amar Tumballi <amarts@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi developers,
>
> With this email, I want to understand what is the general feeling around this \
> topic.
> We from gluster org (in github.com/gluster) have many projects which follow \
> complete github workflow, where as there are few, specially the main one \
> 'glusterfs', which uses 'Gerrit'.
> While this has worked all these years, currently, there is a huge set of \
> brain-share on github workflow as many other top projects, and similar projects use \
> only github as the place to develop, track and run tests etc. As it is possible to \
> have all of the tools required for this project in github itself (code, PR, issues, \
> CI/CD, docs), lets look at how we are structured today:
> Gerrit - glusterfs code + Review system
> Bugzilla - For bugs
> Github - For feature requests
> Trello - (not very much used) for tracking project development.
> CI/CD - CentOS-ci / Jenkins, etc but maintained from different repo.
> Docs - glusterdocs - different repo.
> Metrics - Nothing (other than github itself tracking contributors).
>
> While it may cause a minor glitch for many long time developers who are used to the \
> flow, moving to github would bring all these in single place, makes getting new \
> users easy, and uniform development practices for all gluster org repositories.
> As it is just the proposal, I would like to hear people's thought on this, and \
> conclude on this another month, so by glusterfs-8 development time, we are clear \
> about this.

I'd want to propose that a decision be arrived at much earlier. Say,
within a fortnight ie. mid-Sep. I do not see why this would need a
whole month to consider. Such a timeline would also allow to manage
changes after proper assessment of sub-tasks.

> Can we decide on this before September 30th? Please voice your concerns.
>
> Regards,
> Amar

Community Meeting Calendar:

APAC Schedule -
Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 11:30 AM IST
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/836554017

NA/EMEA Schedule -
Every 1st and 3rd Tuesday at 01:00 PM EDT
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/486278655

Gluster-devel mailing list
Gluster-devel@gluster.org