List:       glibc-alpha
Subject:    Re: [Various] libc/1609: Error in 'make check' origtest with  testobj1.so
From:       Ulrich Drepper <drepper () redhat ! com>
Date:       2000-02-28 23:30:28

James Renken <jrenken@sandwich.net> writes:

> The glibc2 sources were unchanged.  I was running Linux 2.2.14 with the
> Secure-Linux patch (2.2.14-ow2); however, I looked at a few options, and
> the check works perfectly with the non-executable stack option of
> Secure-Linux disabled.

What's the normal reaction of the kernel if the program tries to
execute code on the stack with the option enabled?  If it terminates
the program (what I would expect) this means that the glibc code does
not contain any code which tries to execute code on the stack.  From
this follows that the kernel modification has a problem since it
effects other code as well.