List:       glibc-alpha
Subject:    Re: Support a given active release branch for 3 years.
From:       Carlos O'Donell via Libc-alpha <libc-alpha () sourceware ! org>
Date:       2020-03-31 17:29:20

On 3/31/20 1:24 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Joseph Myers:
>
>> On Tue, 31 Mar 2020, Carlos O'Donell via Libc-alpha wrote:
>>
>>> An open glibc release branch will be considered active for 3 years
>>> after the branch opens, at which point the branch is EOL. A
>>> non-active branch is not considered for bug or CVE backports.
>>> This doesn't mean the backports are carried out, that may depend on
>>> resources and interest, but it is considered, for example when
>>> deciding if the bug can be closed. Anyone with commit privileges
>>> can always backport patches from the master branch to any stable
>>> branch, even a closed one, so long as they meet the rules to do so.
>>
>> I'm not convinced there's a meaningful distinction being made here between
>> open and closed branches.  Backports might be carried out to closed
>> branches, while it's quite possible no-one is actually interested in
>> carrying out some backport for an open branch, so both kinds of branches
>> might or might not get backports depending on interest.  Bugs are closed
>> when fixed on master, regardless of whether fixed on release branches; the
>> use of list-fixed-bugs.py to list bugs fixed in a new release relies on
>> that.  So there is no distinction regarding whether bugs are closed
>> either.
>
> I also don't see a meaningful difference.
>
> It would matter if we cut releases from the branches, or published
> security advisories analyzing the impact for each vulnerability.  But
> we currently do neither.  So I don't think the distinction matters in
> practice.

We just went through a backport sequence for CVE-2020-1751,
CVE-2020-1752, and CVE-2020-10029.

We did that because they mattered to us downstream in Fedora.

For a little more effort we could have covered the "active" set of
branches upstream if we had such a distinction.

Without the distinction neither Fedora nor any other distribution
can help us meet those guidelines.

Does that help clarify why we might want to make the distinction?

--
Cheers,
Carlos