List:       gimp-user
Subject:    gimp save to bz2 format...wierd
From:       Carl Bartels <cb () bravo436 ! chem ! mcgill ! ca>
Date:       1998-06-29 17:55:42

Had a strange thing happen to me the other day.  First off, everything
works if I do it right.  The strange thing that happened was when I tried
to save a file as a bz2 compressed xcf.  I mistyped the xcf as xvf.
Rather than giving any kind of error message, it just did nothing.  I was
very impressed at how fast my computer has suddenly become until I
realized what was going on.

Anyway, I assume what happened is that it discovered that there was no xvf
image format, but piped the output of the save to bzip2 anyway.  Bzip2
then probably choked because it got no input, so no bz2 file was created.
However, I never saw any error messages at any step along the way.

So, my question is, how are errors handled when you save to a compressed
file, eg. if you save to pretty_picture.xcf.bz2?

linux 2.0.34
gtk+ 1.0.4
gimp 1.0.0 (I think)

Don't know if this belongs on this list, but I'm not subscribed to the dev
list so I'm sending it here anyway.

Carl Bartels      |  I have water I have rum
McGill University |  Wait for dawn and dawn shall come
Montreal, QC      |  Underneath the bunkers in the row
Canada            |       --R.E.M.