List:       gimp-user
Subject:    Re: Gimp performance problem
From:       Frank Haase <fh () qc ! ag-berlin ! mpg ! de>
Date:       1998-05-29 9:08:40

Hi,

 thanx to all who responded ....

 seems that  I'm still in trouble. first, no NFS involved whatsoever.
 I tested my U-SCSI disk (DCAS 34330) with iozone - for a 200MB file
 (larger than a typical gimp swap file) : 8 MB/s write; 5.5 MB/s read
 which is pretty good I think.
 Furthermore I increased memory usage to 60 MB (I have 96MB RAM, 50MB swap);
 the swap space is still used only a few %.

 I recompiled the gimp with giving the 'configure' the --disable-shared and
 --disable-debug explicitely - but all this helped not much. (these
 options are the defaults anyhow - I guess).

 Next I will increase swap space to at least 100 Megs ... but as already
 stated, gimp uses its own swap file.

 Let me ask the following:  How long does it take on a comparable system
 (200MHz + SCSI disks) to blur (3 pix rad) the 2nd layer (type 'value')
 of a 30MB picture ?
 I would appreciate any numbers from gimpers out there.

 AND I observed that the gcc is given only the options '-g -O2'.
 Is there a way to optimize the code better ?

 thanx alot

 frank

 --
  Frank Haase                  E-mail: fh@qc.ag-berlin.mpg.de